Thursday, April 29, 2010

Yalamanchili, Triantafilou, and Public Service.

This should be obvious: I will be supporting the Republican candidate in the 2nd Congressional District.

But a few words about David Krikorian and Surya Yalamanchili.

The Democratic Party is now dealing with Mr. Krikorian. There is a story in today's Enquirer about his disparaging remarks about his Democratic rival in the primary, Surya Yalamanchili. It appears Mr. Krikorian is disparaging Mr. Yalamanchili's name. To Mr. Yalamanchili, I say this: I feel your pain. On two counts. I have a name with a few extra vowels and I've dealt with Mr. Krikorian, too.

I have previously blogged about Mr. Krikorian and his candidacy.
  • I blogged in September 2008 that he was not a conservative and certainly not a Republican. Given his decision to run as a Democrat in 2010, I was right.

  • Later in 2008, I blogged about his ridiculous assertion that Rep. Schmidt was faking injuries she sustained after being struck by a vehicle during a jog. Read that here.

  • By the end of 2008, Mr. Krikorian had gone way over-the-line and decided to attack me by emailing my priest. I blogged about that, too.
I have no doubt that Mr. Krikorian will feel vindicated about being rejected by both parties. After all, most voters are independent. He shouldn't. If he seeks a home with my fellow conservatives in the Tea Party, they should ask him why he was supportive of ultra-liberal Victoria Wulsin and take a closer look at his quest for political office at all costs.

Serving in public office, especially in the Congress of the United States of America, is a high privilege and a distinct honor. It remains the greatest democratically elected legislative body in the world. Both parties and all citizens should strive to elect people of the highest character, intelligence, and integrity--even when we disagree. Those people should be grown-ups who have a vision for making our democracy work better and improving the lives of people.

Mr. Krikorian is unfit for public office and, in a very rare moment of bi-partisan agreement, I applaud Mr. Burke and the Democrats for rejecting him as well.