Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11


Today is a solemn day in American history and both parties should be careful to not politicize the events of September 11, 2001.
As bad as the events were 7 years ago today, there is something positive happening today. Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain will suspend campaign ads and most campaign operations and visit the 9/11 site together. That unity and love for our country should inspire every person. At the end of these grueling campaigns, we are all Americans and should love our country. I was glad to hear that the two candidates would jointly appear today. It sends exactly the right message.

Do you remember where you were 7 years ago today? I remember it very vividly as do most people. I had taken a week off from my duties in the Prosecutor's office to care for my then 2 year old son, Michael. I was also helping with the re-election campaign of my dear friend Judge Karla Grady. As I put Michael into his high chair for breakfast, my cell phone rang and I was told by my mother to turn on the TV. I sat mesmerized in front of that TV for about 16 hours that day. My best laid plans for a father/son day were set aside as I watched the horror and carnage on the TV. I remember putting out my American flag as did most of my neighbors in Green Township. My neighborhood, usually flush with people walking the sidewalks and kids playing, was quiet with nobody outside. The eerie feeling of calm in my neighborhood is something that will stay with me forever.

What is your memory of 9/11/08? Share it with a comment to this blog.