Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Spotlight: President-elect Barack Obama

Surprised I have this man on our GOP blog? You shouldn't be.

We may strongly disagree with his policies and I know that I will find myself wincing in pain as he implements a big government, deficit-spending, liberal agenda that I believe is not right for the country. But, I can separate the man from his policies.

As Republicans, we can learn much about how this man rose through the ranks of the Democratic Party and will become the next President of the United States.

President-elect Obama is intelligent, articulate, and positive in his vision for America. Misguided as this vision might be, the American electorate bought it. He won the election by offering hope for the future and by inspiring people from every walk of life.

As a Party, we need to return to a vision of hope and to project a positive view of what we can offer the citizens when we govern. We have defined ourselves in the last several years as against things. That is not how Ronald Reagan defined our conservative party.

I remain confident that conservative Republican principles are right for government and, when packaged in a positive way, will help us win elections. In the meantime, we'll have to suffer the consequences of a liberal federal government that will change America in a way that we don't like. Let us learn from this experience and come out stronger.

A reporter called me and asked if I would be watching the Inauguration. Of course, I will. What political junkie wouldn't? I'll watch it with pride, too. Our system worked--even if we do not like the result. Our job is to convince more Americans that we are right and watching that moment will only serve to motivate all of us to find the right man or woman to carry our message in a way that allows us to celebrate four years from now the way we did four years ago.

Finally, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that America will have an African American President. We can celebrate that. Anything is possible in America and that message is one our Party has preached for a long time.

I am confident in the future and positive about that future. I hope you are, too.